background

Friday, August 12, 2011

Yes I "CAN"

I have the fondest memories of the wonderful jam sandwiches that my grandmother made for us. She always brought us several jars of jam when she would come. She always made rhubarb jam. It was cherry rhubarb or strawberry rhubarb, and it was ALWAYS delish! I have looked all over my little corner of Texas for some rhubarb jelly in vain. Most Texans don't even know what Rhubarb is and sound a little scared when you mention it. LOL So I knew if I wanted some I had to make it myself. Ok women have canned forever. All sorts of women. I know I can do this.
So I googled recipes.  There were all sorts of recipes and lots of friends gave me advice.  Usually in the form of some horror story of how they blew up this kind of jelly or that kind of jam all over the ceiling.  It makes it kinda scary.  I found a simple sounding recipe and decided to give it a try.  Here is the link if you want to give it a try.  http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Raspberry-Rhubarb-Jam

So I gathered all the supplies.



6 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb


4 cups sugar

1 package (6 ounces) raspberry gelatin

1 can (21 ounces) raspberry pie filling

First you combine the sugar and rhubarb to set overnight.
 

Then you put that into a pan to simmer for thirty minutes or until the rhubarb is tender.  I put my rhubarb in  the blender so it wouldn't have large chunks and it worked well.  I stirred pretty regularly.



Then you add in the pie filling and jello powder.  It darkened the mix quite a bit. 
 
Finally I used a canning funnel to pour it into jars.  It came out beautifully.  Just like I knew what I was doing. 
 
 
 
 
 
I got rave reviews.  It was so easy and tasted better than I hoped.  Of course we immediately started dreaming of  things we could substitute.  I tried peach rhubarb the very next day.  It is such a pretty color, and tasted so good my dad said, "It should be illegal."  LOL  Dad is thrilled I am making jam.  I guess I wasn't the only one who missed it.   
 
 

So I think next I may try blueberry rhubarb.  Hmmm.  What flavors can you dream up?

Linking up at:

Lovely Crafty Home


Photobucket



3 comments:

DK Designs said...

NICE JOB- MY MOM USED TO MAKE THIS AND USED THE JELLO-I JUST MADE MY FIRST BATCH OF JAM THIS WEEKEND- STRAWBERRY COGNAC JAM- NO RECIPE FOUND-I AM ALSO NEW TO THIS AND WILL HAVE TO GIVE THIS RECIPE A TRY-GOOD LUCK- COME VISIT ME AT DK DESIGNS-CREATING BEAUTY!

Katy said...

Great tutorial! I am totally bookmarking this. I've been thinking about making jam so this is perfect! I saw that you live in Odessa--I'm in Lubbock! We're blog neighbors :).

Sandie said...

Thanks yall. If you do try it please post a link. I would love to see how it turns out for you. :) Today I am gonna try Blueberry Rhubarb. MMMMMMM