background

Saturday, August 6, 2011

The black grout experiment

Yes I can hear you saying it already.  Black grout what are you thinking?!?  I love the look of black grout.  So when we decided to redo our kitchen, I immediately thought of doing the back splash with black grout.  First I looked at tile EVERYWHERE we went.  I noticed how often restaurants all over town have done the same.  I was even more convinced as I saw more different kinds of tile with it.  So when I went tile shopping I have to confess I felt very overwhelmed.  My hubby told me I could choose whatever tile I liked.  Well I like lots of different kinds of tile.  I found tons of beautiful choices, but here is what I fell in love with.

A beautiful copper glass and venetian stone combo.  Pretty right?

At this point we were just getting started because now we had to decide what design we wanted to do.  There are lots of possible combinations when you have 4 in and 3/4 in tiles to work with.  After lots of suggestions and tons of pro and con discussions.  We chose to put the tile on the bias and cut out a square for four of the copper tiles.  Here is what it looks like before the grout.

Then we decided to do a little something different over the stove.


When we got the grout over the tile, I wasn't too sure the tile wouldn't be ruined.  It was a little intimidating to see it all covered in black.  Those stone pieces were pretty light in color. 


So we started scrubbing.



It looks like a hot mess, but it really was pretty manageable.  When we finished scrubbing this is what we had.





I absolutely adore the new back splash and think it ties in beautifully with the counter top and black cabinets.  I would say the black grout experiment was a success!!!  So what do you think?  Would you or have you used it in your home?


I'm linking up at:
UndertheTableandDreaming

Tip Junkie handmade projects

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Black grout?!? Great idea'r! Mess, what mess? That's what I'd be saying. ;)
It looks just wonderful!

Thanks for visiting and leaving your sweet comment. :)

Nicole@ DavisDomestications.com

Tracey said...

I love the black grout and after our last house I would never, ever have white again. Love what you did over the stove too!
Tracey @ Linus and Lulu

Cherie said...

I love the idea of black (or other darker) grout. You don't have to worry about things looking dingy over time. Brilliant execution! Congratulations! :) Pretty soon you're going to have to submit your house for "Bang for Your Buck" on HGTV. ;)

Kimberly T. said...

I love the black grout! It's beautiful, you did a great job!

Sandie said...

Thanks guys! I will have more kitchen pictures to post soon! :)

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

It looks great! Very unique and different.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

It turned out gorgeous! Wow!

I'm your newest follower.

Unknown said...

I like the combination of color. It gives us an Egyptian building feel. If you didn’t add the copper glass tile, it must have appeared plain. So, great decision on that. Experimenting is our way of letting our imaginations fly. That kitchen has a lot of design possibilities. We can’t wait to see your next house makeover!

Helene Raymond @Trade Squad