background

Monday, November 7, 2011

Stowe Feed Lot

Ok this project started simply enough... with a board.  Just a leftover board.  I wanted to doone of those cool paint techniques on a dresser turned buffet.  I will show it to yall later when I finally get it finished.  I was waaaay to chicken to start on the buffet, so I figured I would play with an extra piece of wood first. 

So away we go.  I used a chocolate brown craft paint and watered it down a bit.  It started to look just like I hoped.  I just wanted a very very uneven coat.


Then I added a turqoise blue watered down paint on top.  I let some of the brown show through.


Is still really wanted a little more of the brown to show.  I saw on pinterest somewhere a tutuorial that suggested using masking tape.  So I decided to give it a try.  It did help to even it out a bit better.


You can see at the top.  It even  took it all the way down to the wood.  I love the added interest. 



So then I ended up with this cool looking piece of wood.  I couldn't just let it go at that.  Soooo I decided to make a sign for my kitchen.  Just a Sandie's kitchen or Mom's kitchen wouldn't quite get it.  Since I live in the great state of Texas, I decided on a feed lot sign.  I haven't ever seen one, but since I have three boys it is totally appropriate.  So I googled cow images and came up with the cutest cow ever.  So I drew it on and here it is in progress. He is cute isn't he???  I  happen to love love love cows, so he was just what I wanted.


Once I finished painting him, (Well, I didn't have any white paint. So we can pretend it's all painted right????  Who would have thought?  No white?!?!?  Crazy huh?) I need to do the lettering.  I hate my handwritting, so my handy dandy Cricut to the rescue.  I cut out the letters, and traced around them. 


Then I just painted them in and outlined them in black.  I love the finished product.  My poor buddy got about 100 text pictures during this project, but I just loved it more and more.  So here is the finished sign.


So all that was left was to hang it on the wall.  It looks just perfect in it's new home. 


Linking up at:





Tip Junkie handmade projects

7 comments:

Cherie said...

You drew and painted the cow! That is so fantastic. You're so talented. And I suppose that time at the Painted Poppy is giving you lots of practice. :)

Sandie said...

That is true. I never would have tried it a year ago. It's amazing what a little confidence will do.

jessica said...

wow i love it! it really did turn out great!

Kristy said...

This is really cute! Great job!

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

Love it! It looks amazing. I need one for one of my boys too. He doesn't eat-just inhales food :)

Karima said...

Wow - what a fantastic job you did! I love getting inspiration from pinterest too. your newest follower, Karima
www.karimascrafts.com

Junk in their Trunk said...

This turned out amazing. We love it. We will have to try it out on some projects. We love the look of it.
Thanks for linking up to our party.
{Junk in their Trunk}
www.junkintheirtrunk.blogspot.com